Old April 17th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default Eduardo is just angry about the latest Arbitron study of the HD Radio farce

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. ..

[snip]

And which of these generations are ready for subscription radio?

None. I have never heard subscription radio talked about, in fact. Most
subscription based services are using other technologies.

Ibiquity has been talking about it.

"Finally, regarding product availability, Ibiquity reports that software
is
complete and new HD Radio chips that include RadioGuard will be ready for
implementation in receivers by later this year. Some first-generation
devices will require an add-on chip to provide the radio's ID number, but
it
is expected that by mid-2008, most if not all HD Radio chips will simply
include RadioGuard as standard - just as multicast was incorporated into
all
HD Radio receivers from the second generation onward. "

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0054/t.8141.html

My comment is that no broadcaster is interested in paid audio programming
services, as there is no useful economic model to be found. Since SCAs and
FMeXtra cover much better than an HD data service, it is unlikely that
anyone will want to rent an HD data channel for this purpose, either, as
there are better options.

iBiquity may be enabling the chips, but at this moment there is no
broadcaster interest in using them for audio or data. And that is what the
people I have talked to are bringing back from Las Vegas.