Old November 10th 03, 05:16 AM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
So now you're saying that any coil at the base of a short vertical
antenna, regardless of its value, will have equal currents at the input
and output?

No, I didn't say that. I wish you would read what I say. If the coil is
a low reactance (not many degrees) and the current maximum point is inside
the coil, the two currents will tend to be equal.

Ok, suppose I make the measurement at, say, 10 MHz, where the coil is no
longer at the current maximum. Tell you what. I'll set up a 33 foot wire
vertical, to eliminate the difficulty of the mounting arrangement. I'll
furnish you the base impedance at 10 MHz, and even let you choose the
inductor value. Be sure and choose a value that will clearly illustrate
your point. Using the fine education you received from Balanis et al,
calculate the current into and out of the inductor (phase and
magnitude), and I'll set it up and measure it. Since it is a fair amount
of work on my part, though, I'd like to do a dry run first, using, say,
the base impedance predicted by EZNEC. Then, after you've shown us how
you make the calculations, I'll build the antenna and do the
measurement. I'd hate to go to the considerable trouble of setting it up
and find that you somehow aren't able to do the calculation.

I can't do the calculation because I don't know the attenuation factor.
Do you think my inability to do the calculation proves anything about
what's happening in reality at the antenna? You guys need to turn loose
of the concept that what happens or doesn't happen on a piece of paper
dictates reality.

I can describe a base-loaded configuration that will demonstrate the
principle. Take a 75m bugcatcher coil, one of the 6"x6" models, and
choose a stinger that resonants the antenna in the 75m-80m band. Then
measure the in and out currents at a frequency a little below resonance.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp