Old April 20th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Can anyone point me to an appropriate solid-state excitercircuit for my 2E26?

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008, Richard wrote:

I want to homebrew a crystal controlled (or VXO) CW Tx, (capable of break-in
operation) that employs a 2E26 tube in the PA. With ICAS operation I can get
27 watts of RF out with a driving power of 0.17 wattts (according to my RCA
sheet). I want most of my "design" efforts and interest to centre around
the PA stage. I think I could cope with that at least.

Can anyone please point me to a suitable solid-state exciter circuit? I want
the Tx to cover any HF band (I'll use plug-in coils). TIA.

In the fall of 1971, there was a two part article in QST for what may have
been the ultimate CW transmitter. It was solid state up till the driver,
a 6GK6, and then a pair of 6146's. It used the uncommon design, for a cw
transmitter, of a VFO that covered only a fixed range, and then it was
mixed up to the signal frequency. I'm working from the 1972 Handbook, but
I seem to recall the two part nature of the original had the first part
as a simpler version that was expanded in the second part.

But any existing solid state transmitter is going to put out more than
you'll need for the 2E26. Just pick a low power one and build it.

Michael VE2BVW