Old April 21st 08, 10:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck[_2_] Buck[_2_] is offline

Default Ground conductivity's effect on vertical

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:07:59 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Buck wrote:

Another point I have heard in the forums, but not confirmed, is that a
reduced size vertical element doesn't gain much by adding radials
longer than the antenna is high.

I don't believe that's true. I'll gladly consider any supporting
evidence. Hearing something on forums is among the worst justification
for believing it, in my opinion.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Long ago, I discovered that anyone can become an "expert" on the
internet by making a statement and having someone else agree with them
or back them up. This is, of course, why I included the statement
"but not confirmed."

Very recently I heard a conversation on the air between a ham who was
"elmering" a new ham and another ham. The "elmer" was trying to help
the new ham convert a "vertical dipole" so it would operate on HF. It
was rather confusing for a bit until he better described it. It
turned out to be some kind of VHF ground plane antenna.

I understand ignorance.... but this worries me.

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."