Old April 21st 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. Mc Laughlin J. Mc Laughlin is offline

Default Use of type 31 ferrite as coax common mode choke

I looked through saved messages and the only reference to type 31 ferrite
(Fair-Rite) was in March of 2005. That reference had to do with ignition
wires.

Recommendations for HF choking ferrites have centered on the 70 series with
type 43 being favorably recommended for the upper portion of HF and VHF.
However, Fair-Rite seems to be recommending type 31 for HF. See Figure 26
in:
http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/pdf/CUP%20Paper.pdf

Am I missing something? It seems to me that for the purpose of choking
common mode current (on the outside of the outer conductor of coax) from 3
to 25 MHz one should prefer the use of type 31. This is a receiving
application with a long run of coax.

73, Mac N8TT

P.S. I will also appreciate ideas about places to purchase ferrite in
addition to Mouser.

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home: