Old April 21st 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Richard Richard is offline

Default Grid circuits for RF power amplifiers

I need some information on an appropriate input circuit for a small RF power
amplifier using a 2E26 operating in the HF region. Output would be about 27
watts. Drive input power about 0.12 watts.

I want the input circuit of the PA to present a 50 or 75 Ohm load to the
driver (the exciter - probably a CW QRP rig - will supply about 0.12
watts). Perhaps (I muse) it would be good, (certainly it would be
convenient) if the input circuit was NOT a tuned input circuit, but see
below.

Questions (that incidentally show my thinking):

Can anyone point me to a website that gives the design data for an
appropriate circuit given the things I have mentioned?

Is it okay to have an untuned grid circuit? I muse no problem if the
exciter has a pi-network output circuit. I just wonder that if the exciter
uses a pi network, if that would represent both the exciter anode/collector
tank circuit, and the grid tank circuit. (So, really there would be a tuned
input circuit - the output pi-network of the exciter). (Just shows I know
nothin', I'm not even certain whether solid stage rigs use Pi-networks to
match with the load).

Any thoughts on biasing arrangement - fixed bias, drive bias, or cathode
bias? (Perhaps fixed bias is best - no need for a clamp valve). Grid bias
needs to be about - 45 volts. Muse that a simple RF choke supplying the bias
to grid would suffice.

So, basically, I want to be able to plug a QRP rig into the PA, tune up the
QRP rig and the plate circuit of PA, and that's it.