Old April 21st 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Multi-Element Inverted "L" Antenna Using an ICE-180 MatchingTransformer

On Apr 21, 8:04 am, "Dale Parfitt" wrote:
- - "
- - The ICE 180 Matching Transformer 'acts' as the Collection
- - Point for each of the Signals coming from the Four 'individual'
- - Wire Antenna Elements.

- - In this instance the Four Taps on the Antenna Side of the
- - ICE 180 Matching Transformer 'act' as a Summing Network.
- - The Output of which is fed {transferred} to the Coax Cable
- - Side of the ICE 180 Matching Transformer.

- You'd have to prove it to me.

My only Practical Proof is what I hear with my own two ears.

- Simply connecting the wires to different taps on a
- transformer does not sum as it would in a well designed
- hybrid that has excellent port-port isolation.

Not claiming that it does a good or great job of Summing
Up the Products of the Four Individual Antennas.

May in-fact do a poor job of doing that.

-but- The Practical End Result -may-be- Better that the
Result from any of the Four by itself.

- More wire in the air does not necessarily relate to
- more capture area and more capture area

In this instance the Four Inverted "L" Antennas all colocated
in the same Vertical Plane form and Array {Curtain} and "DO"
have a Greater Signal Capture Area then any of the Four by itself.

- may or may not be a good thing.

Yes - Collectively the Composite Signal from the Four
-may-be- Better-or-Worse then any of the Four by itself.

Like many things : Until an Individual try it in their own
unique location with their own unique Radio Shack
they will not know the outcome good or bad or simply
ho-hum.

- At MW and HF being able to reduce noise - whether it
- be manmade or atmospheric is worth a lot more than
- simply more signal and noise.

Yes - That is True.

- Better S/N only comes by use of an antenna that has
- directional characteristics that can reduce or null noise
- arriving from unwanted directions- thus the popularity of
- beverages, EWE's, K9AY's, flags, pennants, loops, Yagis
- with clean side and rear lobe patterns. Note that all but
- the Yagis are VERY inefficient antennas- BUT they are
- directional and thus yield greatly improved S/N. Compare
- a well built rotatable flag+preamp to your 2000' longwire
- and see for yourself.
- Dale
-

Dale - All that and Your Technical Expertise is all way beyond
me : I try to stick to Keeping It Simple And Practical. ~ RHF

Dale - I do try to improve Signal-to-Noise from my Practical
{personal} Reference Point of a simple and basic Long-Wire
Antenna like one of the RadioShack Shortwave Antenna Kits
http://www.markdownalley.com/showitem.cfm?itemid=1397
I generally do the Following :
* Remote Antenna Element {away from the House were
practical and possible}
* Remotely Located Ground Rod {away from the House
were practical and possible}
* Matching Transformer Mounted on the Ground Rod
* Coax Cable feed-in-line from the Matching Transformer
to the Radio / Receiver

Dale - I call this a Far-End-Fed [FEF] Inverted "L" Antenna
using a Matching Transformer with a Remotely Located
Ground Rod and Coax Cable feed-in-line.

Flipping the Inverted "L" Antenna 'Back-to-Front' = Better
Performance
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...79890656d94af1

WHY - The Far-End-Fed Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Inverted "L"
Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...cfc6b9cb2447c0

The "Correct Way" to Install a Longwire Antenna and Balun
-by- Wellbrook - Using the Far-End Feed-Point Concept
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...5cc467b35a70d5