Old April 23rd 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.shortwave
Igor[_3_] Igor[_3_] is offline

Default Kaito 1103 -- vulnerable to ESD?

I'm considering buying the Kaito KA1103 receiver, but have been coming
across reports that it is vulnerable to damage from static discharge
through the whip antenna. Here's an excerpt from a review from June 25,
2005:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5071?page=4

"Warning !! A small amount of Static Electricity to the Telescoping Aerial
can destroy Short wave Reception. There is no ESD protection on antenna
input.CKTs. I live in a high altitude dry envionment, while listening to
80M QSO, #1 daughter came scooten across the carpet and contacted the
areial whereupon reception died. #1 daughter now #2 daughter. Took radio
apart and found Q1 RF preamp fried."

Is this true?

This is a factor for me, since a couple of weeks ago, the climate around
here was such that I was letting off shocks on everything I touched.
--
Men Are Better Than Women -
http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/