Old April 23rd 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Radioguy Radioguy is offline

Default Kaito 1103 -- vulnerable to ESD?

On Apr 23, 1:18*pm, Igor wrote:
I'm considering buying the Kaito KA1103 receiver, but have been coming
across reports that it is vulnerable to damage from static discharge
through the whip antenna. Here's an excerpt from a review from June 25,
2005:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5071?page=4

"Warning !! A small amount of Static Electricity to the Telescoping Aerial
can destroy Short wave Reception. There is no ESD protection on antenna
input.CKTs. I live in a high altitude dry envionment, while listening to
80M QSO, #1 daughter came scooten across the carpet and contacted the
areial whereupon reception died. #1 daughter now #2 daughter. Took radio
apart and found Q1 RF preamp fried."

Is this true?

This is a factor for me, since a couple of weeks ago, the climate around
here was such that I was letting off shocks on everything I touched.
--
Men Are Better Than Women -http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/

I've had a DE1103 for about 2.5 years and live in an area where winter
heating causes the humidity to plunge into single digits until the
furnace humidifier catches up. I have not had a problem with that
portable or any other portable dying from a static electricity zap.

That said I think a bit of common sense goes a long ways when using
electronics of any kind.