Old April 24th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Balun question

ve2pid wrote:
On 24 avr, 13:16, Cecil Moore wrote:
...does it bypass the balun and connect directly to the antenna wire, i.e. are you trying to
use the old balun as your center insulator?

This is what I intended to do, using the 'eyelets' on the balun to
hold each leg and to connect the ladder line to them. Purely a
mechanical solution.

But since there is a 0 ohms (DC) resistance between the two posts on
the balun, I am concerned about adverse effects.

You need to measure those impedances at the frequencies of
interest. If the antenna feedpoint impedance is much, much
lower than the impedance looking back into the old balun,
you don't have anything to worry about. You can determine
those impedances with a lot of time and effort. Or you can
remove the balun and install an insulator. Personally, I
would install the free insulator out of my junk box. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com