Old April 25th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Andy[_5_] Andy[_5_] is offline

Default SG-230 problem

It looks like some of the SM 3-pin diodes D10, D9, etc have failed. I was
only testing with a 100 watts although it was with a very high SWR at the
time

Do I have to go to SGC for the diodes or is there a replacement that I can
use instead?

73 Andy

"Andy" wrote in message
Chris,
I will have a look, but its unlikely to be corrosion due to it being
stored in its box in my cupboard for the lat 4 years. But it might help
others.

This might help you though. Some one did tell me once to seal the SG-230
with silica gel after putting some silica gel in side so soak up any
moister. Its those little packets you get inside the box with new
electrical items.

Thanks

"Christopher Cox" wrote in message
Hi Andy,

I had a similar problem with my SG-231. It turned out to be a corrosion
problem in the power/control connector. This made a electrical connection
to be made to the Reset/Hold/Tune leads. There was a little corrosion on
the back side of the circuit board as well. Look up into the male
connector and disassemble the female.

I cleaned up the corrosion problems with a dental pick and fine wire
brush. I resealed the connectors with epoxy. The silicon sealant SGC used
seems to be effected by moisture as it had become milky looking till it
dried out.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Andy wrote:
Hi all

I purchased the SG-230 about 4 years ago. I took it out of its box
yesterday for the first time and tested it out on a light bulb as a
dummy load and all worked fine. It found a match on all HF bands.
I connected it to an antenna today and it would not tune. It would not
reset with the Smartlock. I took the back off the 230 and noticed when I
apply the 13.8 Volts all the relays click once and they
all stay in that position until I disconnect the power and if I apply
RF, 10-80 watts when the 230 is powered up it does nothing, it doesn't
even attempt to tune.. I have also tried 2 lengths of 10ft wire and it
does nothing.
There are five LED's inside that are all on (green).

Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

73 Andy