Old November 10th 03, 08:56 AM
Roy Lewallen

Cecil Moore wrote:
Roy Lewallen wrote:
. . .
So in the past, you've predicted no difference, something like 20 or
45 degrees phase shift, or an indeterminate amount. It's good to see
you've settled on one figure.

There are three possibilities listed earlier. What happens with a coil
depends upon where it is located. Please read that over and over until
it soaks in.

That's the problem. The more times I read what you've posted, the more
confused I've gotten.

My inductor was placed at the antenna base because I could measure the
currents there with reasonable accuracy.

Yep, you are looking for your keys under the streetlight because the light
is better there than it is where you really lost the keys.

You have a unique talent for turning an honest effort at being truthful
and accurate into an insult, as you did with Ian.

On his web site, Yuri quoted W9UCW as measuring the currents at the
ends of a toroid mounted at the base of the antenna as being 100 mA at
the bottom and 79 at the top. You must, then, believe these
measurements to be in error.

If the toroid is not mounted at a current maximum point, i.e. if the
feedpoint
impedance is slightly capacitive, then those figures could be accurate. I
didn't pay any attention to them. Could be his coil causes a larger phase
shift than your coil. You making your antenna too long ensured that
the current maximum point would fall inside the coil. Whether you realize
it or not, you are biasing the outcome of your experiment to agree with
your
pre-conceived (sacred cow) notions.

This is precisely why I've given you the opportunity to choose the
inductor for the 10 MHz test. You choose it so that it will best
illustrate what you say is true. Shucks, I even encourage you to do the
experiments yourself.

. . .

Roy Lewallen, W7EL