Old April 29th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
amdx amdx is offline

Default Help, Laptop causes FM interference

I have an undercounter AM, FM radio. When I plug the power supply to my
laptop
into an outlet in the same room, the FM signal gets very noisy. Upon further
investigation, I found that just plugging the ac cord into an outlet and
holding it near the laptop causes the noise. Also holding the laptop near
the power cord of the radio causes the noise. Holding the laptop near the
radio doesn't cause the noise.
So I think the laptop is generating noise that gets induced into the ac
line.
I tried wrapping the radio cord about (ten turns) through a (junkbox)
toroid without any help to the problem. The toroid is 3" in dia. It's
probably an iron laminate core
(low frequency) so may not be right for filtering the ac line.
My next step is to go to Radio Shack and try to purchase some clamshell
type
line filters.
Any ideas to eliminate this noise from the ac line?
Mike