Old May 1st 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default PL259 Thread standard

"HRBE" wrote in
:

Hello to all,
I have just bought a Ground plane adaptor off Ebay (yeah I know!)
(China! Yeah I know!) it was advertised as a PL259/SO239 male/female
thread to enable a groundplane to be fitted to a mobile antenna.

I assumed wrongly that there was an International standard with regard
to the PL259/SO239.

Naturally when a known part number is advertised, one would expect
that the normal 5/8" x 24 threads per inch standard (UNEF) would be
followed.

Not so! What was sent was a 16 x 1mm adaptor.

Naturally the language difference is making it hard for me to convince
the seller that he MUST advertise the adaptor on Ebay having a metric
thread.

Can anyone tell me if there is a move towards the metrification of the
PL259/SO239 connectors?

If this happens all hell will break loose, imagine trying to connect
antenna to coax at say a field day or even worse in an emergency
situation?

John
VK2KCE

John,

I see you have asked this question in several places. I have read some
for what they are worth.

The Japanese manufacturers seems to have gotten a mind about a JIS for an
'equivalent' connector. I don't know this for sure, but I have come
across some incompatible look alike connectors on some well known
Japanese brand high power amplifiers.

Your Chinese parts may have been copied from one of these incompatible
connectors.

Owen