Old May 2nd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Passaneau John Passaneau is offline

Default 75 meter hamstick vs low dipole

Michael Coslo wrote in
:

Christopher Cox wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Buck wrote:

If I have a low dipole about 10 feet off the ground for 75 meters,
would it be better if I put a hamstick 75 meter vertical up and
connect the dipole wires to the ground side for a vertical?

The low dipole is probably much more efficient than the
hamstick and most of the radiation is straight up which
is not necessarily a bad thing on 75m. Your question reminds
me of one on a clinical psychological test. "Would you rather
take one or two days to die an agonizing death?" :-)

I think the original post needs a couple of questions asked.

Agreed the low lying dipole is ideal for a NVIS antenna.
It would be interesting to see what kind of results would be had for
contacts greater than 600 miles between the two antenna's.

That Hamstick isn't going to be very efficient, so I guess it
comes
down to whether or not the reduced efficiency of the dipole at the
desired DX angle allows for greater signal than the bad efficiency of
the Hamstick at all angles...

Suffice it to say that it probably isn't a very good option to run a
Hamstick setup at home when there are any other options available.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Your not going to gain anything from the swap. I've compared a full size
dipole to a hamstick dipole on 80m at the same hight. The dipole was
20db (about 3 S-units) better than the hamsticks. You will not gain
anything close to 20db by putting the hamstick dipole up higer. On 40m a
hamstick dipole is only about 10db worse than a full size dipole, better
still on the higher bands. And yes I'm talking about hamstick dipoles
using the right models for each band. On 80m the 2:1 SWR bandwidth is
about 60KHz, wider on 40m but still narrower than a dipole on all bands.

Ham stick dipoles seems attractive, but they fall into the better than
nothing class on the lower bands.

John Passaneau