Old May 2nd 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Passaneau John Passaneau is offline

Default 75 meter hamstick vs low dipole

Buck wrote in
:

On Fri, 2 May 2008 13:27:58 +0000 (UTC), John Passaneau
wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote in
:

Christopher Cox wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Buck wrote:

If I have a low dipole about 10 feet off the ground for 75 meters,
would it be better if I put a hamstick 75 meter vertical up and
connect the dipole wires to the ground side for a vertical?

John,
The idea I have is to make a vertical ground plane with the HamStick.

Ham stick dipoles seems attractive, but they fall into the better than
nothing class on the lower bands.

John Passaneau

i fully understand that the HamStick is not a great antenna fro that
band, but how would the vertical ground plane made of a HamStick and
two full length radials compare to a dipole at the same 10 foot level?

what would the angle of radiation be like?

My suggestion would be to download the trial version of EZNEC and model a
7’ wire over ground. That is an easy model to do and will tell you what
the pattern will look like. As to the gain it will be just about the same
as my tests, about 20db down from a full size antenna. The reason is
hamsticks are very lossy on 80m and the bandwidth will still be about
60KHz. Anyway learning how to model antennas is a lot of fun and you can
try out a lot of different antennas easly. I can say from experance that
modeling works. Everything that I’ve carefuly modeled worked just like
the model.

John Passaneau