Old May 5th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
RFI-EMI-GUY RFI-EMI-GUY is offline

Default Suggestions for a PIC for a one time project.

Leland C. Scott wrote:
I don't know why everybody always seems to recommend the Microchip series of
controllers, they aren't the only thing out there.

Check out the chips from Parallax, namely the SX28.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...5/Default.aspx

If you need more I/O then you can use the surface mount version that has
more pins.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...4/Default.aspx

Or try using the BASIC Stamp computer system on a board.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/214/Default.aspx

For prototype work check out the system below:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...%2cProductName

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...4/Default.aspx

The programming software and a BASIC compiler are all free downloads from
Parallax's web site.

For keyboards and LCD displays look at:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Compon...4/Default.aspx

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microc...%2cProductName

Here is a whole collection of LCD displays coving a range of price points.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Access...me,ProductName

If you have a need to do a fair amount of floating point math then check out
the math coprocessors for the microcontrollers.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Compon...4/Default.aspx

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Compon...1/Default.aspx

I think that you'll find everything you need available from this one source
for the project you have in mind. I have the professional prototype board,
floating point processor, a 2 line LCD display that plugs in to the
prototype board and several of the SX28 chips myself. I'm still waiting to
get the USB programming key. Right now I have to barrow my friend's serial
version of the programming key to try out some design ideas.

Thanks all; I have been getting a lot of great suggestions. I will
whittle them down until I find the hardware I need and then order up an
evaluation board to practice on. I also note that some of the vendors
offer training nearby, so maybe I will go in for a class once I figure
out how to write a few lines of code.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©