Old May 8th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default Shortwave radio receiver - suggestion sought

Dear Mike,

You're right, of course, but frankly I do not think that the reasons
you suggest occur very often. After all, how much money is someone
going to get for a used ICF-SW7600GR? If that small amount stands
between someone's bills and total disaster, well, I suggest that that
person just give up, pack his life in, and go on welfare!

And, as far as upgrading, in my opinion (and my opinion only), you
CANNOT upgrade from a Sony ICF-SW7600GR to ANY other compact portable
shortwave receiver. You MAY get a radio you "like" better, you might
even get one that "looks" better, but, in its category, you WON'T get
one that improves on its reception quality if for no other reason that
no other compact portable shortwave receiver has a synchronous
detection circuit (except the Kchibo KK S500, which, according to
PASSPORT, is a mediocre - at best - performer). I have read in some
user reviews that the user could not understand what the "fuss" about
this circuit is all about - he says he couldn't hear any difference.
Well, again in my opinion, if he can't hear a difference, either his
ears are on backwards OR (more likely) he doesn't know how to use the
circuit properly! This circuit is not the only reason the radio works
so well, of course, but it is one of them. This model has been
manufactured since 2001 (its immediate predecessor, from which this
one was revised - hence the "R" - goes back to 1994) and, so far, no
other manufacturer has been able to match this one.

And, again in my opinion, no other manufacturer has even come close!
Further, I'm certain that most owners of the ICF-SW7600GR would agree
that it is built better and will last longer than ANY Chinese-built
receiver. (Yes, I know that early versions - up to about 1996 - of the
original 'G model had some "teething pains" and that Sony was less
than forthright in handling those owners' problem radios, but this has
not been the case with the 'GR model. While I am sure that there have
been isolated cases of defective ones, I myself - and I own 2 'Gs and
5 'GRs - have never experienced any problems whatsoever.) And, even if
you are upgrading to that $13,500.00 ICOM, you'll still want to have a
portable!

So, getting back to the original point, it would behoove prospective
purchasers to be VERY cautious in considering a "used" Sony ICF-
SW7600GR. I myself would NEVER buy one (unless it were under the
circumstances I mentioned - that the owner had passed away and his
widow were selling it - and even then, as this radio is so inexpensive
new, why buy one "used?").

I know that you (and probably many others) will disagree with me; that
is your prerogative, naturally. But, based on my own experience, I'll
stand by my statements and opinions.

Best,

Joe

On May 7, 3:08 am, msg wrote:
Joe Analssandrini wrote:

snip

The '2010 is a superior radio in every way but you';ll have to buy it
"used." Frankly, I'm always leery of sellers' claims; why would anyone
sell such a radio if it were truly in excellent condition? (The only
real reason I could think of that would be legitimate, at least in my
book, is if the owner had died and his widow wanted to sell the
radio.

An equally valid reason is if the owner is upgrading and no longer
needs the receiver, or perhaps the owner needs to pay some bills

Michael