Old May 8th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default horizontal ground rod?

On May 8, 5:32*am, dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
*"Sanjaya" wrote:

I ran into solid rock trying to drive an 8 foot ground rod. Can I change
orientation, dig a shallow trench 8 feet long and bury the rod horizontally?
Yes, I know I *can* do it, but how will it affect performance?

Long thread and none bother to answer your question.

Where do you live and what are the soil conditions around your house?
How deep is the water table in your area?
How deep did the rod go before you hit the rock?
What kind of antenna are you using?

If soil conditions around you house are good a few feet of ground rod is
good enough for a balanced antenna.

If you are using a balanced antenna a ground rod is good enough but if
you are using a single wire common mode antenna use a ground radial. Use
at least one ground radial under the single wire. More radials of
different lengths would be better in the area under the single wire.

- If you drive the rod at an angle you may
- have better luck with rocks.

David - Better Luck Hitting Them ?
-or- Better Luck Avoiding Them ?

a rock is a rock is a rock ~ RHF