Old May 9th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
hasan hasan is offline

Default Palstar ZM30 or Kuranishi BR-210

Andy wrote:
Hasan,

Did you have to convert or modify your MFJ-259B to be able to charge the
NiMH batteries in the unit?

73 Andy

"hasan" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
Excellent advise on how to power the Analyser.

Has anyone used one or both of these analysers, Palstar ZM30 or the
Kuranishi BR-210?

Apart from the build quality, are they any better than the MFJ-259B?

Andy

@w5dxp.com wrote in message
Andy wrote:
If I used the 12 volt external socket to supply power to the unit from
a external gel battery, would it damage the unit if there were no
Ni-Cads in the unit?
No, no problems whatsoever. After trying internal
batteries, everyone I know has gone to an external
gell cell.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I guess I don't run my 259B long enough to experience battery life
problems. I think the longest I've ever used it continuously is about 45
minutes. I put a full bank of 2500 maH camera batteries in it (NIMH), and
have left it connected to the charger (that came with the 259B) for months
on end. The batteries seem to show a full charge when I pull the unit out
for use, and don't appear to be compromised by sitting on the charger for
literally months at a time between uses.

I'm sure the gel cells work better, but I, for one, have had no reason to
upgrade from the NIMH internal cells that I've been using for two years.
Then again, I don't use it for hours on end, either.

No, Andy, I've been using it right out of the box since day one. I put
the high capacity NIMH batteries in it the first day, plugged it in,
played a while, then left it plugged in and periodically checked to see
what the voltage was when I turned it on. It was obvious that it was
charging and that it wouldn't cook the batteries, so I let it
run....permanently. The only time the charger has been taken off the
batteries is with power failures (two or three lasting a few hours) over
the last few years, as well as for use periods less than 45 minutes
outdoors.

I understand how people might not be able to get hours and hours of use
with any internal pack, but for my uses, not exceeding half an hour at a
time, I was left completely unaware that there was a battery life
problem. I'll go check to see what the batteries register on startup
right now...hang on...

14.1 volts with power supply (charging wall wart) disconnected.
14.4 volts with power supply connected. (batteries in place), read the
screen on startup, what do you get?

10 cells at 1.4 v nominal for a full charge. It sure looks to me like
the charger is working properly, and I have a full charge on the
batteries. I'm sorry...I just don't see the problem. After months and
months of continuous charging of the batteries (more like a couple
years!) I don't see the batteries as cooked, nor do I have a problem
running the unit for 45 mins at a time. The batteries seem to have a
full charge right now, and show no evidence of overcharging.

I'm not sure what more I'm supposed to get ...the batteries charge to
what appears to be full capacity, and the charger doesn't seem to cook
them when left on for many months. I have no idea what the "on time"
capacity of the 2500 maH batteries should be with my 259b. I can only
say that for my requirements (less than an hour total use each time),
mine works fine. I have no use for an external battery pack.

73,

....hasan, N0AN