Old May 9th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Kasupski[_2_] John Kasupski[_2_] is offline

Default Indoor Antenna vs Web Stream

On Sun, 04 May 2008 13:12:53 -0700, dave wrote:

John Kasupski wrote:

Cool. Let me know where I can get live 24K MP-3 broadcasts of major
league baseball games, NFL football games, and NHL hockey games
delivered to me for free to listen to while I'm sitting a surveillance
at about midnight local time in a part of town where even the local
cops don't like to get out of their cars unless they have about 15
other cops around for backup.

JK

I don't think they play baseball at Midnight.

I am beginning to suspect that you "don't think" at all on this
particular subject, sir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zones

I live in the Buffalo, NY area. When it is midnight local time, it is
9:00 PM on the west coast, the night games being played out west are
still going on, and the broadcasts of those games are still on the
air, not only from stations on the west coast, but also by local
affiliate stations broadcasting for the visiting teams back east.

During football season, the NFL's game on Monday night often runs past
midnight even if it's being played in New Jersey. Those games are
syndicated on national radio networks. A six-year old could find the
game on a $4.99 piece of junk clock radio...but of course he'd be up
way past his bedtime.

For those who want basketball, despite the NBA's deal with Sirius, you
can still hear plenty of games on AM. If the Celtics are in Portland
playing the Blazers, WEEI 850 has the game on the air unless it
conflicts with something, in which case it'll be on WRKO 680.

My personal favorite is baseball. Major league games are syndicated on
national, regional, and local broadcast outlets, which for listeners
with a real radio to listen to is FREE - unlike XM which requires you
to pay for it. Oakland, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Anaheim,
and Los Angeles all have major league ballparks and broadcasts of
those games fill the airwaves on any given night during the season.

During hockey season, if the NHL's Buffalo Sabres are in L.A. playing
the Kings, or in Edmonton playing the Oilers, or in Vancouver playing
the Canucks, I can listen to those games on WGR 550 in Buffalo, and it
doesn't cost me one red cent to listen to it on the radio in my truck,
no paying for XM/Sirius, no special hardware needed, no Internet
connection (in fact the station does not stream its Sabres broadcasts
over the Internet at all), no nothing - I just turn on the radio, park
it on the right station, and enjoy the game. And that's the way it's
supposed to be!

JK