Old May 12th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson[_2_] Dan Richardson[_2_] is offline

Default PL259 Thread standard

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:53:38 GMT, "HRBE" wrote:

Hello to all,
I have just bought a Ground plane adaptor off Ebay (yeah I know!) (China!
Yeah I know!) it was advertised as a PL259/SO239 male/female thread to
enable a groundplane to be fitted to a mobile antenna.

I assumed wrongly that there was an International standard with regard to
the PL259/SO239.

Naturally when a known part number is advertised, one would expect that the
normal 5/8" x 24 threads per inch standard (UNEF) would be followed.

Not so! What was sent was a 16 x 1mm adaptor.

Naturally the language difference is making it hard for me to convince the
seller that he MUST advertise the adaptor on Ebay having a metric thread.

Can anyone tell me if there is a move towards the metrification of the
PL259/SO239 connectors?

If this happens all hell will break loose, imagine trying to connect antenna
to coax at say a field day or even worse in an emergency situation?

John
VK2KCE

I ran into that problem many years ago when they first starting
importing some off-shore VHF antennas. I ended up purchasing a 5/8-24
NF die-nut and that took care of the problem. Its very easy to use
requiring very little pressure to "chase" the threads so that a
standard PL-259 screws on without any problem.

Over the years having that die-nut has paid for itself many times for
myself and friends who ended up trying to use metric connectors with
American standard connectors.

Danny, K6MHE