Old May 12th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson[_2_] Dan Richardson[_2_] is offline

Default PL259 Thread standard

On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:44:23 +0100, "Jeff" wrote:

"John VK2KCE" wrote in message
Thanks Dan,
I have ordered a die nut to correct the problem, I suspect that the thread
will not have the full strength after using it though!

Whist running a die over the thread will allow a 'normal' 259 the be screwed
onto the socket it does reduce some of the thread to almost nothing, so I
would not recommend that method where there is any mechanical strength
required such as an antenna base.

73
Jeff

In over 20+ years of use I have never experienced anything like that.
If you think about it, the difference between the metric and american
threads - in the case is - is slight (Look just how far you can screw
a PL-59 on the meteric socket) and a very small amout of material is
removed.

Have you really ever tried this method?

73,
Danny, K6MHE