Old May 13th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hal Rosser Hal Rosser is offline

Default 6mile longwire

The TACAMO fleet was initially comprised of the Lockheed Hercules EC130
aircraft, but these are being gradually phased out and replaced with the
Boeing 747 AWACS type aircraft. These aircraft have the capability to
transmit a 200 kw signal using a 2.5 mile trailing antenna. The systems
described above were documented in a book printed in 1985. Due to
unavailability of information, I do not know if the same system is still
in use in the 1990's, but the techniques, nonetheless are quite
intriguing.

Very interesting indeed.
We know that uhf and vhf are for the most part, line-of-sight communication,
with exceptions like ducting, etc...
But it would be interesting to experiment with vlf, to see what it
penetrates.

Speaking of the trailing wire - I wonder if you could trail a loop - and use
it to generate electricity from cutting earth's magnetic lines of force -
(perhaps to power the aircraft after its up to speed. I think they
experimented with the idea on one of the shuttle's orbital missions, but
didn't hear much about the results.