Old May 14th 08, 09:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default Confused; Resistor reading help

"_J D_" wrote in message
Hi,
The schematic says it an 500,000 ohms.
My digital meter reads it as this: 0.590 M
(M) for megohms.

I went to an resistor website that showed me this:
First Band: Green
Second Band: Black
Third Band: Yellow
Forth Band: None
Resistance: 500,000 ohms or 500.00 kilohoms or 0.50 Mohms
Tolerance: ± 20%
Resistance Range with Error: 400,000 ohms - 600,000 ohms

So, it safe to say the resistor is good & that my meter is reading it as
the above 0.50 Mohms? Cause when I check a 20,000 ohm I get this on the
meter: 20.71K & I understand that, but the 0.590M I'm not certain.

Sorry, need to be sure. Thanks.

You're reading it right. But, it should really be considered out of range,
and replaced with something closer to the original value, even though it is
technically within the 20% tolerance range.