Old May 14th 08, 03:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Paul P[_2_] Paul P[_2_] is offline

Default Confused; Resistor reading help

In addition to what others said,

This is why I replace all the resistors in a restoration. Once you start to
use that resistor (radio) you have a good chance the resistor and the others
will drift even more when they get hot. Will it be a perminent drift and
cause you heart acke? Perhaps. Why did it not drift to the lower value of
the 20% tolerance? I don't know. But many many old resistors have drifted
higher and not lower. I really can't remember finding a vintage reistor
that has drifted lower.

How much does a 1/2 watt (twice your 1/4 watt) 5% tolerance resistor cost?
About 7 cents. In bulk per 100 about 4 cents. And presumably you have
already cut one lead out of the circuit to measure the resistor.

How much time/cost does it take to cut a lead, ohm the resistor, solder it
back in compaired to two snips and splicing in a known good replacement? It
takes me less time to snip, snip and replace. And MUCH less time than when I
had to reopen a chassis three times to chase down three drifting resistors.

It is your call. For me restorations include resistors as well as
capacitors.

Good luck on the restoration. Keep us posted!

Paul P.