Old May 17th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default Astron power supplies...

On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:48:17 -0400, A wrote:
Just to add, I've had a lot of problems with high amperage fuses, too, in
brick amplifiers and power supplies and VHF rigs with those "sexy" in-line
fuse holders. Seems like the connections become corroded, resistance goes
up enough that the current induces drop voltage high enough to do
significant heating...etc... Sometimes I've removed those fuses
completely, even in one brick amplifier (25-30 amps for a 3AG fuse!!) just
soldered a jumper wire across the &%$& fuse holder. Yeah, I know, bad
idea. But, all my problems went away.

If you are referring to those cheap, butt-contact, twist-and-lock
cylindrical fuse holders, I'll agree! They are problematic in many
instances, but especially so in high current situations.

I had no end of problems with the from-the-factory in-line fuse holder
with my IC-706. The IC-706 is a poor enough performer at voltages under
about 12.599999VDC, and the voltage drop across the fuse holder was
often enough to drop the volts into the rig even lower than that.

(Don't even get me started about the use of a butt-contact cigarette
lighter "power plug".)

I now replace that style of fuse/fuse holder with the automotive,
"horse-shoe" shaped style. (I'm sure there must be a more 'formal' name
for them.) You can even get them with weather proof caps for under-the-
hood applications.

And, for mobile operations, you can find replacement fuses up and down
the hiways and byways A WHOLE LOT EASIER than you can find the old
cylindrical fuses.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux