Old May 17th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Was wondering what you all thought about HD Radio

In article
,
RobertStruble wrote:

Sorry, I know that IBOC is trashing the broadcast bands, especially
on AM, but you guys are really learned, so I was hoping to get some
opinions about HD Radio. Sorry, that my greed gets in the way of
common sense, and all of radio's listening audience, but Vicki is very
high-maintenance. I hope that you all were not offended by my comment
that "half the AMs could disappear, and no one would notice".

Well, Robert I have several questions. Why is this technology being
implemented at all? IBOC does not use enough bandwidth to have better
sound than analog and the technology as implemented has very poor
reliability or service not to mention the interference issues with
other stations be it an analog or digital broadcast. This poor service
and lack of significant improvement over analog will eventually kill
IBOC because who in their right mind is going to buy a new radio that
supports this problematic scheme? Seems to me that all the current
problems were easily forecasted so why was it implemented to begin
with?

1. Poor audio quality due to the use of digital compression in a bid to
overcome the limited bandwidth.

2. Poor service again due to the limited bandwidth.

3. Interference issues daytime and nighttime.

4. The cost to broadcasters of upgrading their transmitters and antenna
systems and the cost to listeners that have to purchase new radios that
as portables will generate more heat and have shorter battery life.

5. Phase related reception problems with mobile receivers that will
never be overcome.

It's all bad.

--
Telamon