Old May 19th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
A A is offline

Default Astron power supplies...

On Sat, 17 May 2008, K4ERG wrote:

"A" wrote in message
x.com...

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Tio Pedro wrote:

Unless there are other major failures, the crowbar simply
puts the Astron supply into current limiting. I've had
50-amp supplies running in current limiting for days
because of noise-induced SCR firing.

If the supply crowbars because a pass transistor shorted,
then the crowbar location becomes a rather mute matter;
and involves a bit more than fuse changing.

Pete

Well, I've had a number of occurrences where, PTT on 2 M FM rig at current
well below current ratings and the output voltage goes to 0.5 or less and
had to off-on cycle the main switch. Makes me mad. Gotta get back to that
deep cycle 12 v battery.... They always go bad very very very slowly.
Great when there is a power failure, too! ;-)

Thanks to the rest of you guys that made comments, too.

You have stray RF in the shack.

Not likely if you've been running the gear for years and didn't touch
anything. see my response to your second post.

Check for intermittent connections to your
antenna. Most likely a bad shield connection inside one of the PL259
commuters or a bad ground connection.