Old May 19th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
A A is offline

Default Astron power supplies...

On Sat, 17 May 2008, K4ERG wrote:

"K4ERG" wrote in message
.. .

"A" wrote in message
x.com...

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Tio Pedro wrote:

Unless there are other major failures, the crowbar simply
puts the Astron supply into current limiting. I've had
50-amp supplies running in current limiting for days
because of noise-induced SCR firing.

If the supply crowbars because a pass transistor shorted,
then the crowbar location becomes a rather mute matter;
and involves a bit more than fuse changing.

Pete

Well, I've had a number of occurrences where, PTT on 2 M FM rig at
current well below current ratings and the output voltage goes to 0.5 or
less and had to off-on cycle the main switch. Makes me mad. Gotta get
back to that deep cycle 12 v battery.... They always go bad very very
very slowly. Great when there is a power failure, too! ;-)

Thanks to the rest of you guys that made comments, too.

You have stray RF in the shack. Check for intermittent connections to your
antenna. Most likely a bad shield connection inside one of the PL259
connectors or a bad ground connection.

Stupid spell checker!

Not my idea but it sounded good when I heard it: "Life's too short for
spell checkers"

Ham radio advertisement many years ago: "Life's too short for QRP" and it
was for a big amplifier.

;-)