Old May 20th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default 1Hz click external noise?

Lumpy wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I'm hearing an S9 "click" at just about
once per second, everywhere on 20meters
where there's not a powerful station's
signal. It clicks for maybe 3-5 seconds
then stops for a few seconds. Not always
symmetrical (3 sec noise ~ 10 sec no noise).

Click sounds like what I'd imagine a charging
and regularly discharging capacitor might do.

Freq independant, it's everywhere on the 20m phone segment.

Jeff:
Do you live on the country side? Could it be a farmer's electric
fence? If not that how about the ignition system on a gas central
heating system

We live on a small suburban ranch. We have elec
fences as do some neighbors. Ours is off for testing.
I'm not sure what a furnace is. It's 100 degrees this week
(unseasonably low) in Phoenix..;-)

After sniffing around with the MFJ, and finding
my rain gutters seem to be resonating at about 30Mhz
I moved my dipole a bit so that the coax doesn't
cross the gutters. Now the coax goes from top of
mast to ground, and gets buried under about an
inch of sand on our beach. Previously all of
the coax was suspended above physical ground.

The click seems to be gone.

Perhaps the gutters were receiving neighborhood
clicks and rebroadcasting them into my coax.

Hmmm...30 MHz gutters...Maybe I'll work some
10 meters.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

Sometimes two pieces of metal tapping together in the wind can cause
it.
I had put up a slopper for 20 meter coming of the top of my 50ft
tower. When I put up the antenna I used a short piece of wire from the
top of the tower to an insulator then connected the end of the antenna
to the insulator leaving about a foot or so of the antenna sticking
out of the insulator for prunning.
Well, thats as far as I ever got with the sloper, as a matter of fact
I put ham radio aside for quiet a while but I still enjoyed listening
for BCB dx once in a while. I begin to notice that sometimes I would
start hearing clicks while listening to AM and it turned out the noise
was caused by the tail I left on the 20M antenna that was hitting the
tower.

Jimmie