Old May 20th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
pocket-radio pocket-radio is offline

Default HD Radio Reception Problems

It might be a problem for stores to install exterior antennas to demonstrate
live HD-Radio reception. But don't worry, the dumasses at iBiquity have a
plan! They've placed demonstration modules in stores (RDMs) that connect to
up to 10 HD Radios at a time to walk consumers through a simulated demo
delivered through the radio's own speakers. A small black box, whose flash
memory stores and plays back an endless-loop recording. The box connects via
cable to HD Radios on display, and signs or displays by the radios urge
customers to tune the radio to 88.1MHz on the FM dial to hear the demo and
view metadata on the radio's display. It's like a lower power part 15 rig.
I can't make this up!

You'd think they'd push the stores like 'Wal-Mart" to install an outside
antenna. Or even buy it and have it installed. It can't cost that much? So
it leads me to think there is something smells? Maybe iBiquity is concerned
consumers won't be that impressed with the lack of content or stations
compared to satellite radio. Or if you live outside the city grade signal
maybe customers won't hear anything.

Why does HD smell like am stereo? It could have worked. I know it's
different, but gee wiz with so much at stake and the investment required by
broadcasters and consumers you'd think they'd get this right. And so far
they've really screwed this thing up. I know one thing HD doesn't have 10
years to evolve into something like FM did. Radio is being attached from any
angle and the wiz bang gadgets just keep on coming! Once wireless internet
access in everyplace and standard in vehicles radio will have real
competition.