Old May 21st 08, 03:18 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.politics.bush,alt.conspiracy
BDK[_4_] BDK[_4_] is offline

Default Save Windows XP! The clock is ticking

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 20 May 2008 22:20:39 -0400, BDK wrote:

In article MCJYj.4003$KB3.2026@edtnps91,
says...
On Tue, 20 May 2008 11:38:10 -0700, David wrote:

Save Windows XP! The clock is ticking

Microsoft will end OEM and shrink-wrapped sales of Windows XP on June
30, 2008,

So what!, you can use XP as long as you want to. You don't HAVE to get
Vista. It's a myth that we have to keep up with the latest hardware and
software. If your system is producing satsfactory results, why change???
You could be using 98SE and the same thing applies.
So your choice is simple, keep XP or get a real operating system !!

The whole point is that people who build PCs don't want XP to go away.

Bob

The manual said to install Windows Vista or better...
So I installed Debian.

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Window$
box, you just need to work on it.

I have a few friends who went to Linux a while back when they built new
PC's. They all went back to XP after a while. Too many hassles to do
stuff they wanted to do. I've dealt with a few clients at work running
Linux, and sometimes the simplest thing is a pain in the ass to
accomplish. Finding a solution IS slightly easier than using Microsoft's
so called help, so that's a plus for it.

Yeah. I tried Linux a few years back. Very clunky to install (and the version I
had was sold as easy installation). In the end I had to ignore the installation
instructions completely and manually install it. Once going it showed potential,
but as you say, things that should have been simple to do were just too much of
a pain in the arse.

Using Vista now and after the initial "Why do I have to do it your way?" and
"How do I change this back to the way I like it?" it seems to be ok.

Shill #2
--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they
start making vacuum cleaners.

I had a major Vista mystery at work yesterday, when trying to set up
someone's PC to use a dialup connection as a back up, in case the LAN
and WIFI wasn't available while they traveled. What a mess, it came up
with some oddball error messages saying that "Error 2- a device
connected to the remote computer was disconnected". This was nonsense,
the number they were dialing into worked fine. For some reason,
recreating the connection a second time, after a shutdown and reboot,
solves it. That was my third case of this in two weeks. Googling the
error came up with the same error using different connection methods
with some pretty complicated cures.

I really don't get why MS moved and changed the names of things, and
getting rid of identities in Outlook Express has to be one of the all
time biggest bonehead moves ever.

--
BDK
Kook Magnet Supreme!