Old May 21st 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Byung Myung Sying Byung Myung Sying is offline

Default Mexico commits to HD Radio jammers on its Northern Border

On Wed, 21 May 2008 04:33:55 -0700 (PDT), gallant17
wrote:

Yea, the HD transition has stalled, especially doesn't work on AM,
also jams on FM, HD radios aren't selling, and especially doesn't work
in moving vehicles.

I reply:

Your argument about IBOC not working in moving vehicles doesn't hold
up in my case.

I have a Ford audio system in my 2008 F-350 with the optional IBOC
add-on unit. I live midway between Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton
Ohio and receive consistant, quality IBOC reception from 820 in
Columbus, 700 in Cincinnati, 1360 in Cincinnati, and 610 in Columbus,
all which enhance the quality of the AM broadcasts, especially on the
NPR station on 820.

My QTH is between 40 and 60 miles from these AM stations and the IBOC
works just fine during the day. I find very few dropouts when moving
in my truck. At night, I've heard WBBM (780 kHz)'s IBOC. It's
really thrilling to hear high-fidelity AM DX.

I don't know about the commercial viability of IBOC, I'm just
reporting on my good results with IBOC reception using the Ford IBOC
radio. My Ford radio is also very good about filtering so adjacent
stations aren't badly affected by the IBOC "bleed-over" hash.

While I'd certainly welcome the return of AM Stereo (CQAM or Kahn)
over IBOC -- I have an old Sony SRF-100 that was a great AM Stereo
radio -- I certainly welcome the fact that IBOC does seem to work
okay, given the right equipment.