Old May 23rd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W3CQH W3CQH is offline

Default antenna construction

"Lumpy" wrote in message
W3CQH wrote:
I am hearing a lot of sigs, but I
am having probs being heard! 100w!

I routinely work anywhere CONUS from Phoenix
on 5w into either a screwdriver vertical,
a hamstick vertical or a pair of hamsticks
horizontal dipole. With those same antennas
and 100w I can work Australia and Latin America.

Mount a hamstick or screwdriver on your car
and run a length of RG58 inside to your transciever.

I think you describe having 90' of roofline.
That's enough for a good sized wire dipole.

Bird feeders, security cameras and windsocks
for some reason seem to work best at 16.6' off the ground.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
--
Camouflage Operations
www.n0eq.com

Thanks Lumpy - I have a screwdriver mounted on my truck, but the HOA says
that I can't run a cable to it.. In the cover of darkness I did run a
cable - and someone complained!