Old May 26th 08, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Andy[_5_] Andy[_5_] is offline

Default Rigexpert AA-200 antenna analyser

If I was to look out for an Antenna Analyser that would do the other
measurements that the AA-200 can't do. What would be the price rang that I
could expect to pay and what would you recommend?

73 Andy

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"Ian White GM3SEK" wrote in message
Andy wrote:

I found a review from Radcom on the net and it sounds good.
http://www.mixw.co.uk/product/reviewAA200.htm I sent an e-mail to the
designer of the Analyser and he says it does not require re-calibration.

That feature is a two-edged sword. On the one hand, it means the analyser
is immediately ready for routine measurements. That of course is a good
feature for most of the users, most of the time.

On the other hand, if it doesn't have the *capability* to be recalibrated
when different kinds of test fixtures are attached, it means that some
useful kinds of measurements will not be possible... or worse, will
appear to be possible but may give wrong answers. Measurements of the
resonant frequencies of coaxial chokes are an example where analysers
that cannot be recalibrated will give large errors - see the last few
paragraphs of:
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

There's a place for both the simple handheld analysers and the ones that
have more features but live on a bench. It's the buyer's choice... but
whichever one you buy (or build) first, you may eventually find uses for
both.

Thsnk you for the Radcom link Andy- I had missed that.
I agree with Ian on the recal- however I think for portable use this is
ideal. I have an HP8711B for bench measurements.

Dale W4OP