Old May 26th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Sunspot cycle more dud than radiation flood

M0WYM wrote:

So you can't trust statistics - wow that's news. Better then to go
in for inane political mud slinging. You can always tell a dead
argument by the level on insults flying around. Insults over
evidence and an informed mind every time!

I don't know enough to make any absolute and highly accurate statements
on global warming or many of the environmental issues of today.

However, I do know this, lock yourself in your garage with your car
idling for a while and you may not leave that garage. And, I do believe
some sort of balance existed before man began taxing the natural systems
which support life on the planet.

I know the Salmon fishing industry is bust this year. I know there are
vast dead zones appearing in the oceans; some Coral reefs are
disappearing ...

I have a buddy who is a "camera freak" and he has taken me on freeway
overpasses with infrared cameras and shown me the "rivers of warm
exhaust" which the cars are passing through--left by the many cars which
have preceded them--each preceding vehicle spewing unknown quantities of
cubic feet of deadly gases ... I have seen traffic jams with most cars
idling--occupants behind rolled up windows--and, most likely, breathing
huge quantities of the noxious/odorless fumes. I don't even want to
consider power generation plants and businesses' contributions to all
this ... the megatons of spent nuclear materials in storage for
thousands of years, etc.

I know pollution from China has reached the west coast in
increasing-detectable levels and only adds to pollution levels which
then travel across America towards the east coast.

I wonder if and for how long we can just go about our tasks and ignore
all this? And, is this enough, or should this be enough, to begin
worrying prudent men and women?

I do know I can make one truthful statement; "I feel I would like to
keep my eyes open and my awareness level high."

I would like to think all this is still incapable of affecting the
atmosphere in such force and means as to affect communications! But
then, I have come to realize the saying, "truth is stranger than
fiction" can contain truth ...

I do think the aluminum/copper/zinc components of my antenna(s) seem to
show accelerated oxidation/damage--perhaps this is only imagined ... or,
silly fears fed by rumors of acid rain eating away at statues, masonry,
limestone, etc?

And yanno, I don't know who I would trust to believe on these subjects.
Trust the govt? Naaa. Trust big business who profit from generating
these pollutants? Naaa. I just may have lost my ability to trust anyone
.... not to mention "statistics manipulations" in general!

Perhaps I am just paranoid in general? Let's all hope ... that would be
quite nice, wouldn't it? Sometimes I just love being in error and
having only worried about nothing. Perhaps the future will make the
truth apparent.

Regards,
JS