Old May 27th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Scott[_4_] Scott[_4_] is offline

Default REMOVING ENAMEL COATING

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
W3CQH wrote:

Does anybody have the name of the substance that was sold years ago for
removing the enamel coating from wires, or maybe the name of something new?
You would soak the wire in it and it would soften the coating and then you
just wiped the goop off the wire.

I think you're referring to GC Electronics Strip-X. Doesn't seem to
be on the market these days, as best as I can tell.

I found a MSDS which states that it's 70% methylene chloride, 25%
cresol (isomers of cresylic acid), around 5% ammonia, plus some wax
and thickening agents.

One poster in an earlier thread stated that it was designed to work
with Formvar insulation, and might not work as well on the newer
Polythermaleze insulation.

There's a paint-and-finish stripper of a similar name (Klean-Strip
Strip-X) available these days. Like the wire-"Strip-X" it contains
methylene chloride, but it has no cresol or ammonia. Its other
ingredients include toluene, xylene, and methanol, plus a thickener
(it's relatively goopy and would probably have to be wiped off of the
wire using a paper towel or Q-tip or something like that).

These chemicals all come with fire- and health-hazard warnings... if
you use 'em, do so with proper care and precautions!

I just put a glob of solder on the soldering iron tip and dunk the
enameled wire into it until the enamel melts and the solder tins the end
of the wire. Been doing that for over 20 years now...seems to work A-OK.

Scott
N0EDV