Old May 28th 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ian White GM3SEK Ian White GM3SEK is offline

Default REMOVING ENAMEL COATING

Scott Wrote:

There's a paint-and-finish stripper of a similar name (Klean-Strip
Strip-X) available these days. Like the wire-"Strip-X" it contains
methylene chloride, but it has no cresol or ammonia. Its other
ingredients include toluene, xylene, and methanol, plus a thickener
(it's relatively goopy and would probably have to be wiped off of the
wire using a paper towel or Q-tip or something like that).

These chemicals all come with fire- and health-hazard warnings... if
you use 'em, do so with proper care and precautions!

I just put a glob of solder on the soldering iron tip and dunk the
enameled wire into it until the enamel melts and the solder tins the
end of the wire. Been doing that for over 20 years now...seems to
work A-OK.

Scott
N0EDV

Thanks Scott - I forgot that technique - Yes it does work -
sometimes when you get some age on your brain, it tends to lose some
of the lesser used items. - Best 73's de Howard W3CQH

Glad to help out! I have "halfzheimers"....I've only forgotten HALF of
what I used to know!

It's probably due to the paint stripper we've been inhaling for all
those years. Out of all the possible ingredients, I'm blaming it on the
thickener.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek