Old May 31st 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Cregger Ed Cregger is offline

Default Ladder line Vs. Coax

"Sonny Hood" wrote in message
I have an efficiency question concerning feed lines. My present
system is RG-8X to my 75 meter inverted vee which is about 85 feet
away from the shack. I propose to replace some 88 feet of coax with
300 ohm window ladder line that is inserted into the coax run with 4:1
baluns to match the coax on each end. Also at the feed point of the
antenna switch from a voltage balun to a current balun (ferrite chock
type). By my calculations with a 98 watt generator I will increase
the power to the load by about 11-20 watts and with a 985 watt
generator, 117-210 more watts will reach the load. Figuring
theoretical total system (A) against total System (B) or by just the
difference in the 88 feet of ladder line versus coax. What do you
think the increase will be?

In all likelihood, no one on the other end will ever be able to tell the
difference after you make the changes. Neither will you.

Ed, NM2K