Old June 1st 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Ladder line Vs. Coax

wrote in message
On May 30, 6:46 pm, "Ed Cregger" wrote:

----------

In all likelihood, no one on the other end will ever be able to tell the
difference after you make the changes. Neither will you.

Ed, NM2K

Maybe not from any practical standpoint, but I could see the
difference on a meter when I fed both a coax dipole, and a
ladder line dipole using the same tuner, which has antenna
switch, and meter built in.
So I could A/B real fast. I could see a slight difference on
receive switching between the two. And if it's enough to see
on a meter, I consider it a noticeable amount.
Most of the signals were in the 20-40 over 9 range being 75m,
and I'd see about 5 db worth of difference between the two
antenna/feed lines.
Course, I make no claim as to the exact DB amount of difference,
but I could see it on a meter.

Most of it had to be the antennas. Going from almost no loss open wire to
much higher loss rg58 would be only 1 db at the most on 75 meters.
You still need a magnifing glass to see the smeter move this much on a ham
receiver.