Old June 1st 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default Ladder line Vs. Coax

On May 31, 8:17 pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Most of it had to be the antennas. Going from almost no loss open wire to
much higher loss rg58 would be only 1 db at the most on 75 meters.
You still need a magnifing glass to see the smeter move this much on a ham
receiver.

What about the tuner loss? And.. I was using the least amount
of inductance needed to tune.. The difference was noticeable on a
meter.
So that would tend to indicate the difference was more than 1 db.
The 213 I use at the house would be even lower loss than the 58,
but I do use rg-58 sometimes when portable, etc..
Doesn't do any good to use a slightly lower loss feed line, if the
tuner
needed to match causes more loss than the feed line saves vs coax.
And tuners will vary also. Also setting the tuner itself can lose even
more power if the minimum inductance is not use. It's not too hard
to lose up to 20% of your power if the inductance settings are wrong.
I'll still stick with coax and no tuner.