Old June 2nd 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default REMOVING ENAMEL COATING

Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:24�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
The best product for stripping enamel wire is one which not many
hobbyists will have around the home: �a solder pot.

Yup. I've used them.

Of course someone might protest that the discussion is about doing the
job *chemically*....

Chemically-schmemically. Do they want to remove enamel or discuss
semantics?

Never thought of it one way or the other. I suppose if I had to classify
it as something, I'de callit chemical. But I don't get why that would be
a complaint about th eprocess.

I think I've already related the tale in r.r.a.p. that I had the
President of Ideal Tool make a call on Foster with me. His plan was to
sell one of the company's new abrasive stone type enamel removing
machines. After the kindly chief engineer showed how Foster
removed/tinned with the solder pot, the man from Ideal told me that he
didn't believe there was much of a market for his machine.

At Southgate Radio, for multiple units, an improvised solder pot is
made by heating a cleaned-out tuna can full of solder splashes over a
propane torch or stove burner(with appropriate safety precautions).
For small jobs, a blob of solder on the 100 watt American Beauty iron
does the job.

Waste not, want not. I think I'd just wait until the XYL isn't home and
heat the can on a burner of the gas stove. Doesn't it sound like
something which could go terribly, terribly wrong?

Yes it does. I did have the occasion to melt some lead for a
counterbalance for a telescope I made. I took a cast iron saucepan and
put the lead in it, and melted it over a Coleman stove outside the
garage. I was a little concerned while I did it, but it all turned okay.

I wonder if there is a specific metal the solder pots used. I don't know
if critical applications would have an issue with contamination or not.
Solder is a bit corrosive.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -