Old June 3rd 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Antonio Vernucci Antonio Vernucci is offline

Default HQ-145/Worth Recapping?

I have heard that there are very few electrolytic capacitors in this
machine, as most of them are ceramic disk. The only ones are in a can
on the chassis. If the radio is working well as original, would it be
better to just leave well enough alone? I always try to live by the
maxim: If it ain't broke.....
Thanks,
Bob Grimes

In my experience, old electrolytic capacitors seldom get shorted; they rather
become an open circuit. But when this occurs, you will hear hum in the speaker.

In Italy there is an old saying that I'll try to translate in English (wow, I
was even able to preserve the rhyme):

"if it works and does not go off the rails
do not touch or it surely fails"

As to the issue whether the other capacitors are all ceramic, I am sorry I
cannot help you as I do not know the HQ-145. But I spare you another silly
answer in addition to the many you have already received.

73

Tony I0JX