Old June 4th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
COLIN LAMB COLIN LAMB is offline

Default HQ-145/Worth Recapping?

In your original post, you claimed:

"If the radio is working well as original, would it be
better to just leave well enough alone? I always try to live by the
maxim: If it ain't broke....."

My light hearted reply was simply trying to justify your continuing to
follow the maxim you claimed to live by.

Moreover, a prior post you made requested information on someone who could
recap the HQ-145. That implied that you were not able to do the work
yourself. So, my post gave you a reason to save your money or save you from
attempting to do something you were not able to do.

And, if you did not have a chip on your shoulder, you would have noted that
my reply contained a bit of envy that you could be worried about such rather
trivial matters. Most real boatanchor collectors can barely stay above
water with things that they consider more pressing. We inherit broken
radios and some literally show up at our door. Others, we feel sorry for
when we see them at a swap meet under a table.

The fact is that you were worrying about the wrong components. Ceramic
capacitors are going to be closer to specified tlerance than the carbon
composition resistors. So, if you are going to change out all the ceramic
capacitors, you will want to change out all the carbon composition
resistors. Seems like a lot of work for an HQ-145.

If your feelings were hurt, it was not intended.

Colin K7FM