Old December 21st 04, 07:48 PM
Ken Bessler

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
nk.net...

Ken I was referring to just using the Icom on 6 meters. I have seperate
rigs for several bands but decided to replace the 6 meter only rig and amp
with the Icom. That gave me 100 watts instead of 150 watts out and also
if
I want to use the Icom for other bands if one of the other rigs craps out
can. Just because the Icom does everything does not mean that you can not
just use it for a single band. Also not that you want to use it for FM
but
with lots of 6 meter repeaters going tone control I don't think that you
can
set but one tone at a time on the 690. I don't have one of those but do
have the 440 mhz version I bought many years ago.

A good point but I hate waste. OTOH, it *would* be a lifesaver if one
of the other rigs craps out. I'll have to consider that.

As to FM on the FT-690RII, You're right - the stock tone board is DIP
programmed and you have to remove the stock 10W amp to get at it. That
and the rareness of the OEM tone board makes me think of an aftermarket
board. I think it was Comm. Concepts that made a nice rotary selected
box.

My 6m interest is 75% SSB, 15% cw & 5% FM simplex - that leaves only
5% interest in FM repeaters. Something about waste again - using a repeater
when the band is wide open.....

Thanks for the food for thought.

Ken KG0WX

..