Old June 4th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] ltdoc@yahoo.com is offline

Default What effect does a tuner have at the antenna?

Oh, I think the 'myth' is fairly true as far as it goes. It just
doesn't 'go' far enough, sort of.
As in;
It does make the transmitter 'happy'. Since it 'sees' an impedance it
likes, it decides to not
hold back but put out full power. That means that more signal does
reach the antenna than
may have before using that tuner. Which means that the antenna can
radiate more signal.
Does that mean the tuner changes anything about the antenna? It's
input impedance? Or
just the amount of signal that gets radiated. Sort of depends on just
'where' that tuner is,
doesn't it.
People who do know something about how all that stuff works, do know
that this whole thingy
is a 'myth' of sorts. It needs Paul Harvey's, the "rest of the
story", to finish it off. Then it makes
sense.
I seriously doubt if I busted and bubbles here, or repudiated any
'myth'. I'm devastated!
- 'Doc