Old June 5th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Antonio Vernucci Antonio Vernucci is offline

Default What effect does a tuner have at the antenna?

"Cecil Moore" ha scritto nel messaggio
A popular myth is developing that the tuner has no effect
at the antenna feedpoint and the only goal is to make the
transmitter "happy". My question is: if we monitored
only the forward current or forward power at the antenna
feedpoint, could we still adjust the tuner? If the answer
is "yes", the myth is false.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

If somebody really wrote that "the tuner has no effect at the antenna
feedpoint", there are two cases:

1) either he meant to correctly say that, adjusting the tuner, the impedance
seen at the antenna terminations - or any other antenna property - does not
change (independently of whether the tuner is placed at the transmitter end or
at the antenna end). If so, it is just a matter of bad wording, and I would be
tempted to say that his english is even worse than my non-mother tongue one

2) or he has a poor understanding of transmission lines and antenna theory

73

Tony I0JX