Old June 6th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default 1Hz click external noise? - HF Radar ?

On May 24, 2:59*pm, "Lumpy" wrote:
Richard Harrison wrote:
Yes and I`ve often heard a regular pulse in the USA every time a radar
antenna swept in my direction within line of sight range. Radar was in
the gigahertz band but the disturbed receiver was at a much lower
frequency and of good quality.

There's a municipal airport, KSDL, about 2 miles
from me. Except for a very occasional tree, it's
line of sight.

Would a radar induced noise tend to attenuate
if my receiving antenna (dipole) were off axis
to the radar? Seems to me that it was indeed
stronger when the lobes pointed toward the
airport.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

Usually inference from an airport radar ASR takes the form of a very
raspy 1000Hz more or less burst occuring every 4.5 seconds or so.There
is one radar an ASDE that rotates a 60 rpm or once per second. If
there is one of these located nearby you may hear the burst once a
second. The pattern of the antenna is aimed at the ground hence its
name Airport Surface Detection Equipment.At two miles out you could be
in its coverage area