Old June 6th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel David G. Nagel is offline

Default What effect does a tuner have at the antenna?

Cecil Moore wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Consider what a 1kw amp could do to a 40m hamstick used
on 75m when matched with a 1kw antenna tuner.

How much change in physical length or diameter of wire does an antenna
tuner make to an antenna?

In the above example, it vaporizes the hamstick wire.
IMO, that is quite a change.

Cecil;

A "HAMSTICK" antenna has a "MAX" power rating. If you exceed this power
rating you will indeed vaporize the wire. Of course this is true of ALL
antenna's. Hook up a 50,000 watt transmitter to a 20 gage wire dipole
and watch the copper vapor drift off in the wind.
I am currently to lazy to look up the HAMSTICK power rating but you can
at your leisure.

Dave

PS: Good to talk with you again, it's been a while. I learn from you
each time, usually.